Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Mom's Makeover: Canvas Deck Chairs

I often mention how my mom loves a project! My parents are awesome at taking something insignificant and making it into something enjoyable. Mom's recent makeover included adding new fabric to some beach chairs/deck chairs.

During my mom's friend's last visit, Carlyn wanted to check out Black Dog Salvage in Roanoke, VA.



Black Dog Salvage is the retail/marketplace of the popular DIY Network show "Salvage Dawgs." As they browsed the marketplace, Mom found two deck chairs that just needed a little love.


Tay, from the show, was the one that they first asked about the chair's price. He then asked his dad Mike, who is the main guy on Salvage Dawgs. From then on Mike waited on them and checked out their purchases at the register. Carlyn said she thought it was really cool that even though they have their own tv show, they were just nice, average, normal people running a business in a personal way.


Mom and I usually would rather tackle a project that required painting or hot-gluing. Since this project needed some sewing, mom thought about and searched for the best solution. She purchased a canvas drop cloth like this (like I used for Hudson's curtains here and his pouf here) at a home improvement store. The cloth is durable and versatile.


She then enlisted the help of my creative aunt to help in the sewing and execution. Since Aunt Jo has an embroidery machine, they were able to personalize the chairs too.



If you don't have the ability to embroider, you could probably paint a letter or name using stencils. The embroidery is way more durable, but the paint that I applied to Hudson's curtains is holding up nicely (FYI: I haven't washed his curtains so I can't say how the paint would do in the washer.)


Using a knee pedal electric machine that belonged to my grandmother, my mom finished up one of the chairs at home.


She also added more support to the back in a coordinating fabric.


These classy chairs now sit on my parent's awesome deck.


I love spending time out on their peaceful deck, surrounded by woods. Their recent addition of grapevine and lights to the deck railing makes the space even more inviting.


Just looking at these pictures makes me wish that I could go to my parent's house tonight and ask my dad to grill me a burger or one of his famous grilled pork chops. I've said it many times, but I adore family time. I have a tremendous amount of Covey Pride. I think my family is the best! And I am so thankful that my mom taught me to not be afraid to re-make an item someone else may have discarded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment