Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Guest Post: A Quick Burlap Wreath

My sister's BFF posted a picture of her new fall wreath, and she willingly agreed to share her crafty idea with all of us.

This weather has got me in the mood for fall. It is my absolute favorite time of the year. caramel apples, apple cider, apple crisp, pretty colors, and BURLAP! I love burlap. It gives pretty much anything a shabby chic feel. I have been wanting to make a fall wreath for my door so I decided to make a wreath similar to a newspaper wreath I had made previously...only this time, I would make the wreath with burlap.

Gather the supplies you will need.



 Any color or colors of burlap that you want. I had some
already so I am not sure exactly how much I used but I would say you would need about a yard of the main color and less than that for the second color (if you choose to make yours two-toned). You also will need a glue gun, glue sticks, scissors, a pen and a Styrofoam or straw wreath from a craft store.

1.  First, you need to cut the burlap into about 6x6 squares. I usually just cut a bunch and cut more as I go.



2.  Next , take the end of the pen and place it in the middle of the burlap square and form the
burlap around it. 



3.  Take the glue gun and place a drop or two of glue on the pointed end.
Stick the burlap onto the wreath and hold it down a few seconds with the pen to let it dry.



4.  Continue to do so and try and put the pieces as close together as you can so that your wreath is very full.

The pieces may spread out a little bit at first but as you continue to put more pieces in everything will hold
together.

5.  If you do one color do this all the way around until you are done. If you do two colors just go half way down the wreath and then change to the other color for a few inches and then back to the first color.

You now have a shabby chic wreath for anywhere in your house! 



I am loving the finished look! I had previously made a wreath from old book-pages. However, I may now have to give this fun project a try. And I am dreaming up more possibilities. It would be so fun and eclectic to have one made form all different color scraps of fabric - or just ones that would match a particular room in your home.

Thanks, Jessica, for sharing your fun fall wreath with us. I tried to convince her that she needs to start writing a blog. She is full of great ideas! Or, she can just keep guest posting here from time to time!

Anybody planning to try this wreath anytime soon?

1 comment:

  1. I could do this with scraps! I need to use up some scraps that have been given to me...

    ReplyDelete