Monday, December 12, 2011

More than what He does...

Entering the 7th week of the plan, I am seeing a pattern. I do great throughout the week - Friday and Saturday, I usually fall a little behind. That means, Sunday is usually my catch-up day.

If you're doing the 52 Week Plan - Is it just me, or is Friday really hard reading? Who picked Prophecy passages for Friday???

Last night, while reading through Matthew 11-13, I noticed something I had never remembered reading before. In the midst of the familiar stories of miracles was nestled an interesting side note about some of the towns where Jesus had been performing miracles.

Then Jesus began to denounce the towns where he had done so many of his miracles, 
because they hadn’t repented of their sins and turned to God.   
“What sorrow awaits you, Korazin and Bethsaida! For if the miracles 
I did in you had been done in wicked Tyre and Sidon, their people would have 
repented of their sins long ago, clothing themselves in burlap 
and throwing ashes on their heads to show their remorse. I tell you, 
Tyre and Sidon will be better off on judgment day than you.
“And you people of Capernaum, will you be honored in heaven? 
No, you will go down to the place of the dead.For if the miracles 
I did for you had been done in wicked Sodom, it would still be here today.  
 I tell you, even Sodom will be better off on judgment day than you.
(Matthew 11:20-24, NLT)

How sad that Jesus had performed "so many of His miracles," yet the people still didn't repent. I'm sure they were thrilled at the things Jesus had done for them - raising the dead, healing the blind, helping the deaf to hear, etc. Yet the second they got what they "wanted," they were finished with Jesus. His number one goal was for these people to repent of their sins and enter a relationship with Him. 

Image from here.
 His invitation was clear - 

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, 
and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because 
I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 
For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”  
(Matthew 11:28-30, NLT)

The people of this day and age, when Christ walked this earth were so privileged. 
“But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear.  
I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous people 
longed to see what you see, but they didn’t see it. And they longed to hear 
what you hear, but they didn’t hear it."
(Matthew 13:16-17)
Just because I can't physically see Jesus and audibly here His voice - I still have quite a relationship with Him. I have His written Word. I see Him at work in my life and in the lives of these around me. I have His comfort. I have an open invitation to His throne.
I want to be so careful that I am not just following Jesus for what He can do for me - I want to be a follower of Him because of who He is!   

1 comment:

  1. This is such good sound truth Cindy! Thanks for sharing. :) hug

    ReplyDelete