Monday, December 5, 2011

His Eye is on the Sparrow

Saturday night, I had a heavy heart. It seemed that there was much to worry about. I had so many uncertainties and concerns. I pulled out my journal and began to pour my heart out to the Lord. (Read more posts about my journal here and here.) Since I am a lover of lists, I divided my concerns into categories, worrying in an organized way. So many areas of my life seemed to be unstable.

After my journaling, I continued the plan - reading Matthew 8-10.

Matthew 8 begins to describe many of the miraculous acts of Jesus.
  • Healing a man with leprosy because of his faith (8:1-4)
  • Healing a servant due to the extreme faith of the Roman officer (8:5-13)
  • Many others healed because of their faith
By verse 23, we find a great storm described - the disciples were paralyzed with fear.

Jesus responded, “Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!” 
Then he got up and rebuked the wind and waves, 
and suddenly there was a great calm. (Matthew 8:26, NLT)

It seems that each time I read this passage, I find myself wondering why the disciples couldn't just trust that Jesus would see them through. They had just witnessed some of the most miraculous events - yet a storm had them fearing for their lives.

The miracles continue in chapter 9.
  • Healing of a woman - she had so much faith that she believed just touching Jesus' hem would heal her. (9:18-26)
  • Healing of a blind man. (9:27-34)
Then he touched their eyes and said, “Because of your faith, it will happen.” (vs. 29, NLT)
Again and again, because of someone's faith, they were healed!  
Why is it that I struggle with the same issues over and over again? It's easy for me to have condescending thoughts towards the disciple's lack of faith, yet I have to constantly remind myself to have faith that God will see me through. If you could see the last journal entry I made, you would see my list of things that I was feeling uncertain about. 

The word found in chapter 10 were such a sweet reminder to me that night. 
"But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.   
And the very hairs on your head are all numbered.  
So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows."
(Matthew 10:29-31)
Image from here.
That night, as I fell asleep, my heart was a little lighter. My future was a little less frightful. I fell asleep thinking of the words to this old song. 
Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
 Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
  
I am thankful that the Lord continues to remind me that I am being taken care of. I am thankful that He knows me...He remembers me...and He hears me when I bring my concerns to Him.

Image from here.

 I guess the disciples aren't much different than I am - I just need constant reminders.

I can trust Him. I can have faith in Him. He will see me through, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment