Thursday, January 11, 2018

Word Before World...they are never too young!

As many do, I have prayed for a phrase to focus on this year.  I've resolved to clean up the house at night because I love the fresh start in the morning. I don't mean clean base boards...I just mean dishes and toys.

A "picked up" house in the morning is magical, but I also wanted a goal that would stir my affections for Jesus. Well Watered Women pitched the idea of WORD BEFORE WORLD. I am loving the idea of training myself to reach for the Word before I reach for my phone. Not just first thing in the morning, but also throughout the day.


Our mornings are pretty normal here...after I get the kids breakfast, I help them start a cartoon or get out an activity for them so that I can read my Bible. While they are occupied, I have my time with Jesus. I believe that it is super important for them to see me in the Word and to see that Jesus is a vital part of my day...but is that enough?


I read the sweetest article this morning about Word Before World for Little Ones... So many resources. So many concepts to ponder. It made me immediately realize they are not too little for Word Before World.

Routine, schedule, planned activities...everyone seems to function better in this household when they know what is expected. When my babies were very small, we established a bedtime routine. It helped them to wind down and know what was coming next. Even to this day, we follow a version of that same routine every night. Sure, it changes as they grow and mature, but the routine helps us all.

Why would a routine time with Jesus be any different?


After reading that article (you really should read it!!), I paused my time in the Word, turned off the TV and told the kids to meet me on the couch. I grabbed a new Bible story book and told them that we were going to start our mornings with some Jesus time.

We read. We talked. I answered and asked questions. We prayed. We thanked God for sending Jesus to help our sin problem and asked Him to help us to act like Jesus today. We prayed for sick friends. And then started listening to some kid's Jesus songs...


The time was sweet. The time was quick (probably less than 10 minutes). But it felt so right.

Even now, the kids are singing and playing together in the living room (so glad I picked it up last night !!!). And sure, some may say that's just a coincidence...But I am choosing to believe that Jesus makes the difference.


I pray my kids start to see our Jesus time as a regular part of their day. I've asked the Lord to give me the discipline to cultivate this habit in their lives.

It does matter. They aren't too young. Jesus makes the difference.

Word before World. 

No comments:

Post a Comment