Sunday, October 16, 2016

Easy DIY Cotton Wreath

Sunday afternoons always feel like the perfect time for a project. I get this sudden urge to bake or craft or re-decorate something. Today, I decided to try to make a cotton wreath with supplies on hand. And it worked!


I re-use grapevine wreaths often. Hot glued items can be easily pulled off.

After locating a wreath, my hot glue gun, some cotton balls, and a few brown paper bags, I was ready to tackle this idea.


Since real cotton pods look more like a cluster, I decided to hot glue two cotton balls together.


After cutting the brown paper bags (I used regular lunch sacks) into approximately 3 inch squares, I folded those squares into quarters.


Once I could clearly see the 4 creased lines, I used those lines to help me cut 4 petal shapes. I tried to make them all different in width and size.


This helped the pods look more natural rather than all identical.

Using my hot glue gun, I ran a line of glue down each petal and then pressed them down around the cotton ball cluster. I tried to leave the crease between the two cotton balls facing upwards.


When I glued the pods onto the wreath, I tried to tuck some under branches. I also applied the glue on the sides of most of the pods, so that the brown paper bag piece wasn't hidden.


The entire project took less than 30 minutes. Even if you didn't have the supplies on hand, this wreath would cost less than $5 to make.

I am happy to add this to my fall decor.


These pods could also be hot glued onto branches and placed in a vase or jar for a centerpiece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment