Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Mommy needs a plan

In the midst of being a stay at home mom, my days all start to look exactly the same. I wake up to someone yelling "Mom!" I feed and clean up after these little ones all day. I play in the floor and sing songs. Once they go to bed, I pick up the house and get it ready so that we can do the same thing the next day. 


Since my days are filled meeting their needs, I often push aside planning things for me. I wear clothes that don't matter (because someone is going to spill something on me at some point) rather than dressing up. I watch kid shows instead of Fixer Upper. I eat crusts cut off cheese sandwiches because it's easier than making myself a sandwich. 


And I am sorry to say that my devotional time with the Lord often suffers as well. Sure, I read to the kids from Bible story books, but I need a time that's for me. 


I have been thinking about this for a few weeks. Deep down I knew I should start this new year determined to spend more time in the Word. But I am an "All or Nothing" type of girl. I need a measurable goal. And I need to be able to physically see my progress. 


Sunday, I took my study Bible to church instead of my small one that fits into the diaper bag. As I was turning to the passage we were discussing in small group, I saw my reading plan from a few years ago. It was a good plan to read through the Bible...and I did it. 


So, I decided to read through the Bible in a year using the 52 Week Bible Reading Plan. 


Nora woke up first this morning. As she ate some Cheerios and played with toys I read Joshua 1-3. I felt empowered and encouraged as I read of the Lord telling Joshua that He was going to help him do great things. Over and over again the Lord told Joshua to 

"...Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged.
For the Lord you God is with you wherever you go." (1:9)

Although my day with my two children is not quite as adventurous or life-threatening as defeating and conquering other nations, I still love to know that my God is with me and is giving me strength. 

The people told Joshua "We will do whatever you command us and we will go wherever you send us. We will obey you...So be strong and courageous!" (1:16-18). 

I have people following me too. These little people need my help all day long. And they are looking to me for guidance, comfort and instruction. The Isrealites followed Joshua because they knew the Lord was directing Him. And if my kids see me in the Word, I have to believe they are going to obey and trust me more. 


When explaining to Hudson that he needs to obey me, I often say..."Jesus made me your mommy. I have to obey Jesus and you have to obey mommy."  And in order for this little statement to work...I have to make sure that I am obeying Jesus and spending time in His Word. 

I know I didn't start this plan on January 1st. And I feel like Satan wants me to use the excuse that I need to start at the beginning of the year or not at all. But I started today! 

Anyone else want to read with me? You can print a plan here. (I know there are lots of plan on apps, but I am a pen-and-paper girl.) I am using the 52 Week Plan. 

  • One Year Bible (Selected reading for 4 different books each day - Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs)
  • One Year Bible Chronological (Chronological reading of the Bible - would probably help with prospective)
  • 52 Week Plan (Sunday - Epistles, Monday - The Law, Tuesday - History, Wednesday - Psalms, Thursday - Poetry, Friday - Prophecy, Saturday - Gospels)
  • Discipleship Journal Reading Plan (Much like the One Year Bible, but in a creative, fold-able PDF format)
  • Read Through the Bible Program for Shirkers and Slackers (Divided by type of literature - but no dates. I think I need the dates)
  • New Testament in 90 Days (would be a great summer goal)

  • Let me know if you are up for the challenge!

    1 comment:

    1. Way to go you! I was just thinking about how we read through the Bible the other year. I need to make my devotional time more of a priority this year, too!

      ReplyDelete