Sunday, May 11, 2014

Teach them. Train them. Guide Them.

Mother's Day - the perfect day to celebrate the wonderful life I have.


Though some days may seem long, and I may grow tired, I will forever be grateful for this little boy and for the opportunity I have to be his mother.



Even our pastor's message this morning was the perfect reminder of the privilege the Lord has given me. I have the distinct task of nurturing Hudson (and his soon-to-arrive sister). By being there for him and encouraging him, I can build him up and guide him spiritually.

Our pastor reminded us, as parents, to:
1. Get them involved in church
2. Have family devotions, which will set the spiritual tone for our family
3. Take advantage of teachable moments. Our values are caught more often then taught.
4. Pray for them and over them, for it's how they will see our love for them and our love for the Lord.


"...bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." Eph. 6:4


As I took Hudson (and my baby girl too, I guess) for a walk today, I thought about a verse that was read at church this morning. 



"Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you're sitting together in your home...



...and when you're walking together down the road...


...Make them the last thing you talk about before you go to bed and the first thing you talk about the next morning." Deut. 6:7


I was challenged today to make sure I am pointing Hudson towards the Lord each day. Whether its playing and singing Christian songs, reading him Bible stories, etc. - I know that I can do more. 


If I am pointing Hudson towards Christ all throughout the day, I feel that I can't help but be encouraged myself. Instead of feeling weary from the tasks before me, I might instead find myself encouraged by the extra Bible reading and Christian songs. I foresee this choice affecting our entire family.


Will any other moms join me in this challenge? 

PS - Apparently, Hudson's Mother's Day uniform is a white polo and plaid shorts...I didn't even notice until after our little photo shoot.  (Last Mother's Day)



2 comments:

  1. Sharing this today! Good thing for me to think about how this is going to play out in my life soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will do great! Can't wait to find out if it's a boy or a girl!

      Delete