Friday, December 6, 2013

A Simple Christmas Countdown

In order to keep my focus Christ-centered this December, I decided to make a little advent calendar. Advent simply means anticipating the arrival of a notable person, thing or event. In the hustle and bustle of the season, I need a daily reminder that JESUS is the reason we celebrate.


At the beginning, I thought I would make something super creative and super involved. However, in the end, I made a simple project with envelopes and paper. All I need is a gentle reminder to get in the Word each day. 



There are a number of advent reading lists out there. I combined a few - here is what I am using. 


Even if you are simply reading a verse or two of the Christmas story in Luke 2, I challenge you to find a way to Count Down to Christmas. 

Using plain white envelopes and some colorful tape, I simply wrote the date out 25 times. 

I then wrote the reference on a plain paper tag tied with baker's twine to put in each envelope. I left myself lots of room, because I want to journal a thought or even just a sentence as I complete each reading. 

Using a random slotted wooden box that I had on hand, I arranged the envelopes in a Christmas tree formation. 

To even up the lines, I actually had to put 26 envelopes into the slots. Maybe I can put my overall thoughts on the project in that envelope. 

I thought it would also be easy to add each journaled tag to a Christmas tree, as well. 

I am so excited each day to read the assigned passage. And since the passages are short, I am able to really focus on one important aspect pertaining to the coming of Christ. 

I pray that you will too find a way to focus on Jesus this season. A few of my blogging friends have joined me in this challenge. 



More projects should be coming soon!
Check out Jennifer from Home with a Purpose 


Joni from Minister Grace

and Lydia from Not Afraid of the Snow

I'd love to see your projects and ideas, as well! Comment with links or email me pictures! 



No comments:

Post a Comment