Monday, September 17, 2012

Canning Ring Pumpkin

The weather is still warm. The leaves haven't really started to change. But I am ready for Fall! I love to add little elements to my home that hint towards the changing seasons. And, since I know I will have the urge to put the Christmas tree up in November, I'd better get some pumpkins out now.

My grandmother had given me some of her old canning rings to possibly make a wreath out of. While perusing some blogs, I ran across this idea, and knew that I had enough rings to make a pumpkin! (Or a Junkin' Pumpkin, as this blog called it)


The entire project took less than 2 minutes. I simply tied the rings together with a piece of yarn -- the tighter the better.

The original poster used cinnamon sticks for her stem. Since I didn't have any of those on hand, I tried to use some twigs, but they weren't thick enough. I was finally satisfied with the look of a rolled up piece of brown paper.


The leaves were easy to cut out of some left over fabric.


I love the simplicity of this decorative item. I like to put fall-ish items around my house without making it look like a pumpkin stand. The simple colors are calming and welcoming.


Situated on my great grandmother's griddle, my painted Dollar Tree squirrel and a hazlenut candle completed the look.


I also am excited about the fact that all of these items can be easily re-purposed. I didn't have to glue or permanently attach any of the elements. So, I can continue collecting my rings and someday make that wreath!

PS: As I rearranged the items on my griddle, I stumbled across 2 little paper stars from my confetti making last spring. You never know when that confetti will pop back up to remind you of spiritual encouragement. (If you have no clue what I'm referring to, you can read all about it here.)


"Encouragement is to a friendship what confetti is to a party. It's light, refreshing,
and fun, and you always end up finding little pieces of it stuck on you later."
- Nicole Johnson

"What wonders a bit of encouragement can do! It's one of the most awesome treasures God 
has given us -- the ability to inspire, motivate, and reassure others."
- Barbara Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment