Sunday, September 16, 2012

Apple Pie in a Cup! (aka - spiced apple cider)

When the weather starts to turn cool, I turn towards those yummy fall drinks. Lattes with pumpkin flavoring, chai tea or spicy apple ciders. I wanted to find a recipe for a yummy apple drink that I could easily make at home. It is a delicious way to begin or end the day!

After much googling and trying and combining recipes, this is what I settled on. 


I have made many different flavored simple syrups to use as sweeteners in drinks. Usually this involves one part water, one part sugar and whatever flavoring you desire. But this drink required a richer flavor. 

First, make your syrup. 
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • dash of nutmeg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Heat the above ingredients in a small saucepan until all elements are combined. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool. Once this is cooled, you can store this syrup in the refrigerator. 


For the drink, fill your mug with apple juice. Add a couple tablespoons of your syrup to the juice and stir. Heat your drink for one minute and 30 seconds. Add some caramel (I use the ice cream topper kind) and stir. Top with whip cream and more caramel. 

You won't be disappointed!! Some White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M's on the side will make this a yummy fall treat. (They are my latest craving!)

PS. My mom made this is a large portion for a group of ladies at church. She simply combined the syrup and the juice in a crockpot and allowed it to heat. I love knowing that it is great in single portions or for a group!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting, the ladies loved it! MOM

    ReplyDelete