Sunday, August 19, 2012

Perfect Sweet Tea (with a secret ingredient)

I love to try new recipes! I love to browse the food section of Pinterest, in search of something to make with the ingredients I have on hand. That's also a dangerous place for a pregnant woman to browse. Some evenings, I feel I could eat it all.

A few weeks back, I saw a recipe for sweet tea that said it was smoother and more delicious than any sweet tea ever. And I decided to give it a try.

I am trying to drink lots of water - however, every once in a while, sweet tea is a great treat! I'm a southern girl who loves her sweet tea!!

The special recipe came from Craving Comfort. This blogger used to work at a restaurant that made their tea using this secret ingredient. Since the restaurant has closed, she has decided to share the secret with us! It seemed simple and straightforward. Since I like my tea more weak than strong, I decreased the number of tea bags used.


Ingredients: 
  • 3 family size tea bags
  • 1 quart (4 cups) boiling water
  • 3 quarts (12 cups) cool water
  • 1 1/2 cups of sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda (secret ingredient)


Using my favorite gallon pitcher from Pampered Chef, I sprinkled the baking soda into the bottom. After boiling my water, I added one quart over the 3 family size tea bags. I covered the pitcher, letting the tea steep for 15 minutes. 

I then removed the tea bags and added the cup and a half of sugar. I stirred the mixture until all the sugar was dissolved into the hot water. Then, I added the additional 3 quarts of cool water. After stirring the tea, I let it chill in the refrigerator.  

I just love sipping this tea in my thrift store glass over lots of ice. (I found 3 of them on my last Goodwill run for 50 cents each...I am hoping to find more just like them!) And a straw is a must! (read where my straws are left over from here).  


This tea is the smoothest I've tasted. I do think the baking soda takes out some of the bitterness from the tea. If you try it, I think you will fall in love as well! 

Have any of you ever heard of baking soda in your sweet tea? It was a new one to me - however, I will probably never make it without the secret ingredient again.  

5 comments:

  1. Cindy, we'll give this the Covey test tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how I make sweet tea too :) Grandma Swick's recipe :)Sweet tea sounds so good right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting! will have to try this! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting idea using baking soda. Gonna try it this week! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete