Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Guest Post: A Healthy Howland Reward


Today's post comes from my little sister. She kept sending me pictures of her yummy cobbler - and so I asked if she would share the easy recipe with my blog friends.

Since our baby Pippa was born in May, Josh and I made the commitment to start exercising and eating better. Our decision was partially (mostly) due to my wanting to loose that post baby weight fast! We have faithfully stuck to our commitment still to this day. 

One of the best helps we have found for our new healthy lifestyle is the My fitness pal app. This app is basically a food and exercise journal. It has motivated us ,and we have both dropped a good amount of weight this summer as a result. 

Unfortunately the decision to live a healthy lifestyle comes with sacrifices. We all have those unmentionable foods that make us totally weak. When it comes to eating right, for me personally, I cannot forgo peach cobbler or any cobbler for that matter! My Mawmaw makes the best peach cobbler in the world. There is nothing like it!

I think it takes eating good things and exercising to live a healthy lifestyle. But I’m going to be honest, sometimes you just have to have your treat! No healthiness about it, you just want it. I think I’ve realized that where I get into trouble is having leftovers of desserts. Every once in a while I get into his mood to bake, and I end up making 20 servings of something horrible for us -- when we only need two! Then we end up eating all of the leftover dessert in a week so we “don’t waste.” Before you know it, we’ve consumed 10,000 extra calories in a week! 

I finally found a solution for every once in a while indulging in your favorite treat. I bought Ramekins! Ramekins are basically a mini dish and you can find them for a couple bucks a
piece at Target. We do still have dessert in the Howland house but now I only make two servings. No leftovers, not a big mess and I satisfy my domestic baking mood without gaining extra weight!




Here’s my recipe for a small treat to reward yourself after days of healthy eating and exercising! This recipe serves two people.

You will need: 

  • 1 Ramekin for each person (yes just ONE!)
  • Fresh fruit (my favorite is peaches)
  • Half a stick of butter
  • Half a cup of sugar, flour and milk

Mix your sugar flour and milk. Add in your melted butter and whisk till smooth. Spray or butter your ramekins and divide the mixture between the two. Add your fresh fruit. Sprinkle with some sugar on top




Bake for 1 hr on 350 and that’s it! In the Covey home, we like to pour milk on our
cobbler when we eat it. It’s not as bad as ice cream would be for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment