Friday, August 31, 2012

Beware: If you make this skirt, you may not want to take it off!!

My husband and I are so excited to meet our baby! (If you missed the gender reveal video, you can watch that here.). And my belly is definitely starting to grow. Last week, I could still wear my hot pink jeans (with the help of the rubber band trick). I tried to wear the same pants Wednesday night to choir practice - and it was a definite NO GO! Maybe if I wear a REALLY long shirt I could wear them a few more times.

I don't notice the growth as much when I'm wearing comfy clothes all day, but the minute I try to dress nice to go somewhere, I am frustrated with my lack of clothing options. I do have maternity clothes, but  even some of them are not the most comfortable. And when a baby is on the way, you want to feel good about what you're wearing and you want it to be COMFORTABLE! There are enough uncomfortable parts to this time of life without adding a constricting waist band.

A good while back, my mother in love bought me the cutest maxi skirt from Motherhood (you can still catch it on clearance here). And I want to wear it EVERYDAY now! 


Seriously, each time I dress up, I think to myself, "When was the last time I wore my skirt? Will I see the same people? Can I get away with wearing it again?" It is made out of a T-shirt material and makes you feel like you're wearing the softest pajama pants all day. 

My husband and I have been doing a major mission organization on the basement. I promise to show you pictures soon! In the sorting and moving, Jeremiah found a pile of brown knit material. I had used it to cover a couch in my dorm room when I was an RA in college. 

When I saw this tutorial on Pinterest yesterday, I knew that the long lost but now found material would work perfectly for this oh so comfy skirt. The tutorial looked simple enough (Please know that I am a sewer of straight lines and the thought of making clothes to wear terrifies me). I must have sent my friend Lydia twenty texts yesterday full of questions - she's always so patient to tell me what I need to know! 

The tutorial gives measurements, but I simply laid my favorite skirt on the material to use as a pattern. Knit is so forgiving that I think it is now my favorite material to work with (for clothing). 

I seriously want a skirt like this in every color now. 


And I apologize for the weird angle pictures - I was in a hurry to go on a date with my husband last night and wasn't as patient with my self-timer as I should have been. When I looked at the pictures this morning, I thought I should maybe retake them. The only one not out of focus was the one without my head - but let's be honest....if I don't have a reason to dress up, I'm not going to! So what I took is what you get! Check out the original post for the pretty pictures of this project!  


If I find some cheap knit in other colors (or come across any more in my basement organization) you can bet I will make a few more of these skirts! And although it works with my growing belly, it is merely a yoga-style fold down waist band. Therefore, anyone can try this! You'll be comfy and cute! I guarantee it! 

2 comments:

  1. Yay for a bigger picture! It looks great :) And you will be able to wear it for years to come...not saying because you won't loose the baby fat, but because it will be easy to take in and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete