Monday, March 12, 2012

Goodwill Challenge: Dime Wrappers

During my recent trip back home, my blogger-friend Joni and I made a trip to Goodwill (See our other projects from the day here and here).

We also each purchased 1,000 Green Dime Wrappers.  Why? They were an awesome color. They had a vintage look to them. And they seemed to be begging to become some awesome craft project.

Joni and I both have a love for "different" decorations. I think everyone's house should contain unique elements.

We gave ourselves one week to each complete a project. I searched online for ideas. I wracked my brain for a plan. I scoured magazines. After hours on Pinterest I still had not come up with a project. Apparently coin wrappers are not the hottest DIY supply. I folded the wrappers, twisted the paper, and looked at them in tube form...Still, nothing!

After searching my house for some other supplies, I finally came up with a project idea. I had a couple of those black, college dorm room floor lamps in the basement. And these wrappers would definitely make one unique.

I cut open the tubes along the seam. Then, to help them flatten quicker, I pressed the paper under an iron for 15 seconds on a low setting. (Place a pillowcase on top of the paper to avoid scorching your wrappers).

After cutting open the wrappers, I was quite surprised that the inside of the tubes were a different color. This would add to the final appearance of my project. After rounding the edges, I was ready to begin.

I used some Clear Gel Tacky Glue to start attaching the wrappers to the plastic lamp shade. I put glue on the three straight edges, leaving the rounded side open to let out more of the light. I also turned a few of the wrappers around to give a little color contrast every now and again.

But after 4 rows of wrappers, the paper was not sticking to the plastic. My mother taught me something a long time ago.

If at first you don't succeed, HOT GLUE!

71 wrappers later, I was left with this finished product.

I love the soft glow that the lamp gives - most of the light comes out the top of the shade.

I guess that you could say this is a $355 lamp (or at least that's what the wrappers say!) It has also given me an idea for a few other projects.

I was left with one problem though...I only used 71 of the 1000 wrappers.  I'm glad that our challenge was not to use all the wrappers at once! Maybe, eventually, I'll come up with enough projects to use up the entire box.  

Maybe I'll even attempt Joni's awesome project. (The zipper scares me to death though. ha!)

Check back tomorrow for another way that I used the wrappers!


  1. WOW! You two both did an awesome job! I love her idea as well. The lamp shade is off the chain! :) (a little ghetto talk..that's how much I liked it!)

    1. Well thanks.. I was not as pleased with it as I thought I would, but I believe it looks 10 times better in person. Guess I need a better camera.

  2. I love it! It looks so good with the verse! Our posts were so similar... this has been so fun! Let's do another challenge soon, it gives me a deadline and I work better with deadlines! :)