Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The way to a man's heart...

Last night for supper, I made something that is a favorite of Jeremiah's. For some reason, I haven't made it in a long time. Maybe we got burnt out on it. Maybe I just forgot about it. But it was the first meal I ever cooked for him.

As we were eating our supper last night I said, "This meal is what made you fall in love with me." He smirked and said, "No, I fell in love with you when you put a second helping on my plate without my asking." Anyone that knows my husband knows that he can eat like a pony.  The way to my man's heart is definitely through his stomach.

It's an easy recipe - and it quick to make. It works great as a dinner for two or a crowd pleaser at a party. I used to make this all the time in college.

Chicken Quesadillas and Guacamole


I prepped my guacamole first. Normally, for Jeremiah and I, I would just use 2 avocados. But they were super cheap at Aldi this week, and they were going bad. So I decided to make a party size portion. I ended up sharing some with Ashlee and her family. I also put some on my sandwich for lunch today.


This recipe was given to me by my friend Stacie - when she first made it for me, I may have eaten an entire bag of chips and her whole bowl of guac. I love limes and salt. So, naturally, this was a yummy snack for me.

For a party size bowl of guac, you'll need 4 ripe avocados, 2 small Roma tomatoes chopped (I used about a tomato and a half), 1/4 cup chopped red onion, juice from one lime, 1-2 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro, one clove of garlic and salt.

The first time I purchased avocados, I thought that green was good and brown was bad - Boy was I surprised when I tried to mash up those green avocados. When you are ready to use the avocados, the skin should be dark brown and there should be a definite give to the skin (you should experience some squishiness when you push on the avocado).

Cut your avocados in half.


To remove the nut, slam your knife into the nut. When you twist the knife clockwise, the nut will come right out. Set one of these nuts aside, but throw the rest away.


I have found it easiest to score the avocado while it is still in the skin. Then, using a spoon, scoop the avocado into your bowl. This technique also works well if you need sliced avocado - once it is out of the skin, it is slippery and soft and difficult to slice.


I then add the salt to the avocado - the amount can be determined by taste. The salt will help you to mash/break down the avocado. Some prefer to leave the avocado cubed, but I like for my guacamole to be more creamy. I have found that a fork works as the best tool in this process.


I then added my chopped tomatoes, cilantro and red onion. If you do not like one of these items, leave it out. Using my garlic press, I also added one clove of garlic.

The final ingredient is one of my favorites! I LOVE limes! Each time I cut one I can hear Amy in Little Women saying, "I owe half a dozen limes...we trade them for beads and things." For this batch, I added the juice of one lime. This will help keep your guacamole green and it tastes delicious.


Stir all your ingredients together gently, and you are ready to eat! You can place the saved nut in your bowl to help your guacamole from turning brown as well.

Gather your ingredients for your quesadillas.


For 10 quesadillas:
  • One large can of shredded chicken (I believe mine was 12.5 oz), drained
  • 1-2 cups of cheese
  • 1 tbsp taco seasoning (optional)
  • fajita size tortillas
  • vegetable oil for pan
Feel free to cook your own chicken - I prefer the ease of using the canned chicken. It is so cheap at Aldi, and it saves me time and effort.

After draining the can, I mix the taco seasoning with the chicken. This adds just a little bit of flavor. Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. I love to use my 10 inch skillet for this recipe so that I can fit 2 quesadillas in the pan at a time.

Add a spoonful of chicken and some cheese to one of the fajita sized tortillas.



I used to use the big tortillas, but I have found that these smaller ones are more manageable. Also, by using the smaller ones you eliminate the step of having to slice the finished quesadilla.

Fold the tortilla in half. Add another quesadilla to the other half of the pan. Once the cheeses have melted, flip the quesadilla. The tortilla should turn a golden brown.


I usually replenish my oil after every 4 quesadillas. This prevents the tortillas from burning. One can of chicken usually yields about 10 quesadillas. Sometimes, I make extra cheese ones.


I plated our dinner on my red Fiesta dishes - it seemed fitting being the night before Valentine's Day. We love to dip our quesadillas in sour cream, guacamole, salsa and tomatoes.


It was a fun dinner at home - good food and good memories.


I can't believe it's been a little over 6 years since I first made Jeremiah this meal! I'm so thankful that our relationship's foundation was an amazing friendship. I am truley blessed.

2 comments: