Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Look What the Lord Has Done

I am so excited! I know, I know, I've only completed 1/365th of my plan. But as my Dad used to tell me on road trips, "We're closer than we've ever been before."

After much contemplation and deliberation, I have decided on the 52 Week Plan. I weighed the Pros and Cons.
  • It isn't date specific - therefore, I don't have to wait til January 1st to begin. (Because, let's be honest. I may have lost the excitement and drive by then). 
  • It focuses on one book each day - Part of my problem in the past may have been trying to read multiple passages each day. Now, I can take breath, and allow God to speak without feeling like I'm participating in a sword drill. 
  • I have a group of girls from all over the country that are reading with me - Some chose different plans, but we all have one goal - to read through the Bible in a year. We plan to encourage each other along the way! 
DAY ONE: Completed... Joshua 1-5

I was immediately struck by Joshua 1:8 (NLT).

"Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night 
so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. 
Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do." 

What a great key verse as I begin this journey through God's Word. Scripture is the key to my success - I am excited to see how the Lord uses what I read to change me!

Also encouraging was chapter 4 - The 12 tribes of Israel built an altar to remember what God has done - and also to be able to remind future generations of God's power and might. They took stones from the middle of the sea to build this structure. It was one way for them to remember what God had done for them and why He had worked in this way.

"He did this so all the nations of the earth might 
know that the Lord's hand is powerful, and so you
might fear the Lord your God forever."  (Josh. 4:24, NLT)

Growing up, I can recall many times when my parents would be telling others how God had come through for us. Maybe it was a crazy story about God's provision, or maybe it was an instance when God lead us to a different location. I still to this day love to hear my parents give a testimony of God's involvement in my family's lives. In a way, that is what the Isrealites were doing with this altar.  Years down the road, when their children or grandchildren say "What is that pile of rocks for?" - the Isrealites can tell how God miraculously parted the sea so they could get to the other side. 

Image from here. - Thanks, Joni!

I've decided to journal my journey - so that I can remember what God has revealed to me. And so that future generations may see the the Lord's hand is powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment