Monday, June 5, 2017

Better Together

Our last meeting for my moms group ended up being a Tea & Testimony.


The tables were set with care. Each place held a different thrifted plate. And above each place setting was a card which read...




Those dishes were from all different places. Different homes. Different families. If only they could tell us their stories -- what dinners they have held. What celebrations they were used for. Were they pulled out nightly for regular family dinners? Some maybe only ever sat on display. Some may have been used for special holidays. Some forgotten. Some hidden in attics. Others passed down to granddaughters. But I told the moms, where these plates went from here was up to them. 


I challenged them to think about their stories. What brought them to this place in motherhood. Think of who they are. How did they get to this point in their relationship with the Lord? Where had they been?


In 2 Timothy 1:3-7, Paul reminded Timothy of the spiritual heritage they both had. 

Beth Moore, in her Entrusted study said, "Let's take personal ownership of our spiritual lineage -- both in what we receive and what we pass down...You're a creative blend of all your main influencers mixed in with your own God-given uniqueness."


We can usually trace back a generation or two of our family tree without a thought. This is my grandmother... this is my dad...

But what about your spiritual lineage? Who has been your "main influencers"? I challenged the moms to write out five names. My list included my parents, Sunday school teachers who challenged me to memorize large portions of Scripture, college mentors who showed me the importance of ministering to women, friends who suggest books and podcasts, and even authors I have never met face-to-face have impacted my spiritual walk. 

We have to keep that spiritual lineage going. It's time to get excited about influencing the next generation. 

Psalm 78:6-7 says, "So the next generation might know them (the commands of the Lord) -- even the children not yet born -- and they in turn will teach their own children. So each generation should set its hope anew on God, not forgetting his glorious miracles and obeying his commands."  

" They were to rise and tell their children so that they might put their confidence in God and not forget God's works, but keep His commandments." - Beth Moore


As I think about this group of moms, I love that one of our main goals is to encourage each other to be Jesus to our kids. Next year, we are calling our group MOMs - focusing on the Ministry of Motherhood. 

Since I became a mom, I understand my relationship with my Heavenly Father so much better. I understand more about how God relates to His Son too. It's relational, The love is unconditional. 

I love that the parenting relationship was part of God's plan all along. Through it, we understand Him better. 

At times, the "Ministry of Motherhood" sees daunting. I start to think about all the ways I could mess things up. I doubt my influence. I worry my kids are too small. Or I just feel too tired.

But when my son asks questions and responds on his own to Bible verses we are learning, I reminded that the Holy Spirit is at work and the Word of God will always accomplish what the Lord wants it to accomplish.

What a privilege it is to be the FIRST person to tell our kids about Jesus. We get to help start their spiritual lineage. God gave that to parents! And I can't tell you how excited and privileged I feel about that. 

When those doubts surface, I need to remember 2 Timothy 1:8.  It's His strength - not mine! 

It all starts with just letting these kids see that you love Jesus. Let them see you read the Bible. Let them hear you pray. (Even letting my children hear me confess my sins allows them to understand this life-long struggle of walking in the Spirit.)

And remember the plates... you're not alone. We are better together. 

I had these moms each take home their plates as a reminder of these truths of God's Word and the support of this group. And here's a few ideas of what they could do with these plates.









Or you can always bake another mom some cookies and tell her to keep the plate! Because she might need the reminder that we are repurposed for the Lord's use.


We are better together.


"And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near."  Hebrews 10:24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment