Tuesday, October 25, 2016

I know I'm filled to be emptied again...

Everyone needs a chance to get away, unplug and refocus. And this retreat met some major needs for this momma. I am so thankful to be a part of a church that works diligently to help me grow in my walk with the Lord.

The first night of the retreat, I was able to set up an activity for the "after party."


When I go on any type of trip, I love to find some quirky souvenir to help me remember the journey and the memories made.

The Isrealites had their Ebeneezer stone that symbolized a special time when they remembered what the Lord had done for them.

I Samuel 7:12b says, "Up to this point the Lord has helped us."  

As I prepped these supplies, I prayed that the Lord would use the craft to serve as a visible reminder of the things He taught these ladies and the steps He wanted them to take in their relationship with Him.


Because this was a group of 300 ladies, I had most of the supplies prepped and ready to assemble. I pre-punched a hole in the top of the mason jar lid with a 3/8 inch grommet punch like this one.


Because the size was easy to hold yet different, we ordered these pint and half sized jars. They are larger than a regular mason jar but still fit in a cup holder.

These rubber grommets just had to be worked into the hole to cover up the sharp edges.


To decorate the jars,  I ordered and cut into circles several different patterns of oil cloth. (These are the patterns I ordered: Red dot, Black and White dot, green gingham, blue gingham). Oil cloth is wipe-able and won't unravel. Using a regular hole punch, I pre-punched the holes in the oilcloth circles.


The hole could then be stretched across the rubber grommet.


The only tricky part about these jars - screwing the lids on without the oilcloth bubbling up. I found that if I held the oilcloth down in place with 4 fingers as I screwed on the lid, the fabric would stay neatly in place.


We had these straws on hand for them to insert into their drinking jar.


And these dishwasher safe chalkboard labels were available for more personalization.

It was so fun to see ladies of all ages excited to make their souvenir cups. And I loved seeing them filled up and used throughout the weekend.  Conversation happens when hands are busy. The ladies seemed to have fun making and decorating their jars with old and new friends.


I left the retreat with my cup full of ice water and my spirit full - from time with the Lord and time with good friends.

.

Each time I use my drinking jar, I am reminded...

"I know I'm filled to be emptied again. The seed I've received I will sow."







No comments:

Post a Comment