Monday, March 26, 2018

Spiritual Confetti

The Word of God is so precious to me. Lately, I have been loving how personally the Lord uses His Word to change and encourage me. As I have been studying Priscilla Shirer's Armor of God Bible study, I have loved her emphasis on the belt of truth. The Word of God is our source of truth in which every part of our lives can be based.

"Your Word is truth."   John 17:17

"And you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." John 8:32

There is great freedom in knowing that the Bible is my guide, my answer, and my measuring stick. It sure takes a lot of pressure off me. 

But the Word of God is more than just a rule to govern my life by - it is full of comfort and encouragement as well. 

We know the power of encouraging each other (Hebrews 10:24-25). And when I think of encouragement, I love this quote:  

"Encouragement is to friendship what confetti is to a party. It's light, refreshing, and fun,
and you always end up finding little pieces of it stuck on you later. " Nicole Johnson



If you have ever been around a little girl in a glittery dress, you have experienced the sticking power of glitter. It lingers on family members and furniture for DAYS!

And I can't think of confetti without remembering the hand fulls that "friends" placed in the air vents of our car on our wedding day. 



Still, 8 years later, on certain days when the air is on full blast, a sequined piece of colorful paper will fly out at our faces, reminding us that confetti has a powerful tendency to hang around. 

"What wonders a bit of encouragement can do! It's one of the most awesome treasures
God has given us -- the ability to inspire, motivate, and reassure others."  Barbara Johnson

But what about those lonely days or those times when you aren't able to share your difficult circumstances with everyone, but you are still in need of some encouragement? 

That's where the Word of God steps in! 

"I weep with sorry; encourage me by your Word."  Ps. 119:28

"Such things were written in Scriptures long ago to teach us. 
And the Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God's promises
to be fulfilled."  Romans 15:5

"As soon as I pray, you answer me; You encourage me by giving me strength." Ps. 138:3

Just as parents at a kid's sporting event cheer for their children...."You can do it!"  "You've got this!" "I'm so proud of you!" "Keep going!"  "Yeah!!!" there are so many instances when God has cheered for me, His child,  with His Word.  

And when He does that in your life, journal it, memorize that verse, highlight it, cover the margin in washi tape, underline it, put it in your house somewhere...let the Word of God continue to change, guide and encourage you. Let that spiritual confetti stick around. 

Today at Mom's group, a friend shared of the struggle in motherhood to grumble, complain and worry. It's not that we hate our lives, its just easier to focus on the hard parts of the day. Easier to feel alone. Easier to just grumble. And that affects our children, our spouses...it's not good. 

She told of the power of the Word of God and how it has changed her attitude...

"Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again -- rejoice!
Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. 
Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. 
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:4-7

After some praising, confessing and praying took place, her perspective changed. She saw how God was at work and how He was helping her. And He did guard her heart and mind! The Word of God is that powerful. 

I gave the moms some little index cards to write out some spiritual confetti of their own. Verses that the Lord specifically led them to. Verses He had used or was using to encourage and point them back in right direction. And it was so powerful to hear the verses discussed at my table - the way that God's Word had done exactly what God promised it would do! 

His Word is the answer. It is truth. It can change us. It can encourage us. We just have to dig into it! 

What are some verses that the Lord has used in your life? What's some of your spiritual confetti? 

2 comments:

  1. Love! I need to write out some of the verses in this post. And you are the second person I have seen who has really enjoyed this Bible study. I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this.... I soo needed the reminder of God’s Word, and to let it transform my mind and therefore my heart and actions as well as a result.

    ReplyDelete