Wednesday, June 15, 2016

This is the way we wash our clothes...

This morning, I helped my best friend buy the supplies she would need to make her own laundry soap. As we were placing the items in the buggy, I realized I had pictures at home for an updated post on this fabulous laundry soap recipe.


My family has worked our way through 4 batches now, and I still love it. It smells wonderful. It's inexpensive. And it gets our clothes clean.

Here's what you need:



You can find all of these items in the laundry section of your store.

The original recipe calls for the bars of soap to be grated - but that takes forever! Instead of grating the bars of soap, I cut one bar at a time into one inch cubes. After placing the cubes on a microwave safe plate, I microwave the soap for 2-3 minutes. It will puff up - once it puffs up, remove it from the microwave or it will burn. After the puffed soap has cooled, you will be able to crumble the soap into a powder form.  It seems that this powder version of the soap bars dissolves better than the grated soap pieces too.

I have found a simple way to remove any lingering soap smells from the microwave  - heat a couple of cups of white vinegar in a microwave safe bowl for 2-3 minutes. You can also add lemon juice to the vinegar. All will smell fresh again!


I am obsessed with these green laundry totes from IKEA. And I have decided they are the perfect container to mix this soap in. You will want to mix your ingredients outside because it will create a cloud of soap powders. And I use gloves while mixing the soap by hand.


After all the powders are combined, you can pour your soap into an airtight container. I choose to use a 2 gallon glass jar. 


The flexibility of this green tote allowed me to easily use the handle as a funnel.

Info:

  • One batch of this soap lasts my family of four a little over a year. 
  • I use 2 tablespoons of the mixture per load of laundry. 
  • I have an HE washer - I simply pour the powdered soap directly into the drum of my machine before I place my clothes into the washer. My soap always dissolves just fine. 
  • Our whites stay white and our clothes are always clean. 
  • If there is a stain on a particular item, I spray it with a stain spray and wash like normal. 
  • This soap seems to be fine for sensitive skin. My son and I both have eczema and this does not seem to bother us. 
  • I don't use fabric softener - just dryer sheets in my dryer. 

Have any of you tried this recipe? We are in love with the soap, the smell and the cost! 

No comments:

Post a Comment