Friday, September 5, 2014

Fill the Freezer: Breakfast Burritos

I know what is coming...Nora will be here VERY soon. I am going to be tired, but people still need to eat around here. I remembered how my friend Lydia had made these freezable breakfast burritos a while back. I thought I would give them a try.



I altered the recipe a little bit, based on what I had on hand and what we prefer. And...I didn't take any pictures. I blame it on baby brain. The whole process took less than thirty minutes. And I was able to make 18 burritos for less than 50 cents each (if you shop at Aldi).

Here's what I used.

1/2 stick of butter/margarine
1/3 onion, chopped (can also add green pepper)
18 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 lb. ground breakfast sausage, browned and drained (could use ham instead)
salt/pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack)
20 flour tortillas (I used the medium size)

Saute the onions/peppers in the butter. Meanwhile, beat eggs and milk. Pour the eggs into the skillet with onions/peppers. Add meat, salt and pepper. Cook until the eggs are set. Mix in the shredded cheese and let melt.

Heat tortillas in microwave to make them more pliable. Add a little less than 1/2 cup of the egg mixture to each tortilla. Roll up burrito style. Wrap in a paper towel. Place in gallon size freezer bags. Once they are cool, freeze.

To cook, remove a burrito from freezer. Place burrito (still wrapped in the paper towel) in the microwave and heat for approximately one minute. Enjoy!

OR you can make these into a casserole to enjoy right away instead of storing them individually in paper towels. Place the burritos in a greased baking dish. Top with extra cheese and bake at 350 for 20 minutes...or until heated through.

I like to eat these plain, but many enjoy them dipped in salsa. You can add fresh tomatoes, sour cream, etc as toppings too. Some also add different ingredients to the egg mixture such as broccoli, ham, etc.

I am excited to have some quick, tasty options in my freezer for these upcoming busy days!

1 comment:

  1. I need to go delete some missing photos! I love how versatile these are. I just throw things in a pan now that sound good!

    ReplyDelete