Wednesday, September 11, 2013

He knows what I need

I am amazed at God's timing and the fact that He knows exactly what we need. I have seen Him work over and over, yet I am still amazed at His omniscience.

We are doing a church wide Bible study right now called not a fan. We are watching the videos in small group. Our pastor is preaching on related topics each Sunday. And we are all encouraged to use a "Follower's Journal" as a daily devotional guide. The study is intense. It is so good and and I am so excited about it. It forces you to define your relationship with Christ, thinking long and hard about the fact that Christ asks us to die daily to ourselves. So often, we focus just on the "believing in Jesus" and forget about the "following" part. We wear the t-shirts, carry the Bible, go to church, and look the part of a perfect fan. Yet, when it really comes down to it, we aren't that committed.  We are just fans and not followers.

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself
and take up his cross daily and FOLLOW ME."

The follower's journal has a morning, noon, evening, and end of the day part. Today was exactly what I needed. I love that Jesus knew the kind of day I would have. He knew what I needed to be reminded of this evening. 

The morning suggestion encouraged us to think of a worship song or two, singing them directly to Jesus. I thought through a few of my favorites. I usually sing a lot throughout the day because it calms Hudson. I've noticed, though, that it is also an encouragement to me. 

The noon reminder had me write a love letter to Jesus, my one and only. In my note, I told him that I loved him and I was excited to spend some time learning more about Him tonight at church. I look forward to Wednesday evenings. We are slowly going through the book of I Thessalonians. The Wednesday night service is a huge encouragement to me in the middle of the week. I asked the Lord to show me something new about Himself. 

After dealing with a migraine in the afternoon, I was glad to get in the car and head to church. I needed that pick-me-up. Hudson was happy. Life was good. 


But when I dropped Hudson off at the nursery, there were 7 babies....and a few were already not so happy. I felt bad adding to the number of babies in the nursery. During the first song, I text one of the workers, asking if they needed my help tonight. They did. When I arrived, Hudson was one of the not so happy ones. He has been gnawing on his thumb...I think a few more teeth may be in our future. Since he wasn't feeling so great, I ended up holding him most of the service. I put in a few paci's and tried to entertain a few babies in swings. But I left church feeling that I wasn't much help. I was feeling that I missed out on my time with the Lord. I was a little discouraged.

I had a little pity party as I got Hudson ready for bed. Once he was finally asleep, I picked up the house a little. While straightening the living room, I came across my devo book. I thought, "Well, Lord, I didn't get to learn anything new about you tonight. Maybe I'll just have to lean on some stuff I already know."  I think, the Lord just wanted some one on one time with me. 

The evening reflection said, "Whatever you are doing this evening, imagine doing it with Jesus. Write one difference that makes to you."  Wow! Remembering that Jesus is with me is very calming. When I think about trying to comfort Hudson and nurse a headache of my own, I love knowing that I am not alone. As I sang Hudson songs before bed, those words encouraged me too. This mom likes knowing that she is not alone. I imagined Jesus right there with me as I rocked my baby. 

The end of the day thought included one of my favorite verses. 

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you
with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17

The devo said: "You began the morning singing to Jesus. Singing to Him is fitting because He is worthy of your love since He is perfect love. As you go to sleep, imagine Him singing over you - a sweet song of His commitment, protection, forgiveness and favor.

The Lord didn't need to teach me a truth or characteristic about Himself that I'd never heard before. He just needed me to remember a verse that I already knew. I just needed to claim it and believe it. Once I got my eyes off myself and my situation, I was able to be comforted by the promises of this verse. 

Zephaniah 3:17 is very familiar to me. In fact, I see those words almost every day. It hangs above Hudson's crib. 


I thought, when I framed those words that they would be a comfort to Hudson, knowing that God sang lullabies over him. But over and over, God uses it to calm me. Over and over, as I sing the song written from that verse, I am encouraged.  I love that God takes the time to remind me that He delights in me and sings over me. 


Tonight, I didn't need a new truth. I needed to be reminded of something very familiar to me. 

2 comments:

  1. God's word is alive and active! The framed scripture was the first thing that I saw in Hudson's room when you were in the hospital! It provided peace in the midst of a storm. Thank you for preparing that early for his room. He knows just what we need! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog for so many reasons.... <3

    ReplyDelete