Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Thrifting Notebook

There is a method to my madness. I find that I work best when I have a list. It gives me such a sense of accomplishment to cross something off my list. I'm the girl who writes down tasks I've already completed, just so that I can mark them as finished. A list keeps me sane. And this principle definitely applies to my hobby of thrifting.

A few months ago, I starting writing down the items I'm looking for when I go thrifting. Sometimes,   digging through yard sales and thrift stores can get overwhelming. My mind starts jumping from idea to idea with each item that I come across. I also find that my visits to thrift stores can easily turn into my wanting to redecorate my entire house. I tend to want to start one million projects the second I walk into Goodwill. But I've found ways to limit myself.

When I see and idea that I would like to try to implement in our home, I write down the supplies I'll need in my handy dandy $1 notebook.


Then, I know that I'm looking for old metal funnels for a Christmas decoration.

Pin found here

And I'll remember that I wanted to be on the lookout for a cute little metal patio table and chairs to paint for the deck (which seems to be so difficult to find unless I want to pay and arm and a leg...which I don't!).


Sometimes, I don't write down a specific item, but I do write down a particular area in my home that I'm looking to decorate. For example, I am looking for something awesome and different to place over my front door. I saw this bicycle on a mantle - who knows what unique contraption I may find to put above the door.


So, in my notebook, I'll put the measurements of the area of wall space that I wish to find a funky item for.

I do give myself some wiggle room, though. I am currently working on a project that I picked up at a thrift store - I never expected to find something so fabulous. Even though it wasn't on my list, I knew that the space where this treasure will end up needed a little something special.  If it hadn't started storming this afternoon, I might have been able to show you the project this evening...Oh well...

At the end of the day, it's just another list I make. But I know that those lists keep me in order. How do you organize yourselves while thrifting or junking? Do you want to take everything different home with you? Or do you find that you can easily limit yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment