Thursday, March 15, 2012

99 cents To Catch a Theif

No, I'm not talking about one of my little sister's favorite movies with Grace Kelly and Cary Grant... although, it is a great movie!


I'm talking about an awesome board game that I found at Goodwill for 99 cents!


Clue's (now out of print) Great Museum Caper has a 3-D board in which players maneuver video cameras and motion sensors. I had first played this game with a host family in Paducah, Kentucky. When I saw this in the game section at my local Goodwill store, I knew that this needed to be added to my game collection. Who doesn't love a board game? Since it was half-price Saturday, I only paid 99 cents. All the pieces were included! Double bonus. And, I knew that Jeremiah would love the stealthy aspect of the game.

There were just 2 small problems...

Problem #1: The instructions, although included, were in Spanish.


Even though I had played this before, I could not remember all the details. Luckily, Google came to the rescue. I found the complete instruction book (in English) here.

As I read the instructions, I was reminded of how great this game really is. One player becomes the thief, sneaking around the museum stealing as many of the nine paintings as they can before being "caught" by the other players.


The players, use colored pawns to move around the museum. At the beginning of the game, the players are able to place the video cameras and paintings any where they choose.


The thief, sneaks into a window and moves about the board secretly. Instead of moving a pawn around the board, the thief uses a special map of the museum, writing down what paintings they steal and what video cameras they disable.


Problem # 2. The box didn't include any blank "Thief Pads." Yet again, Google had my back. I downloaded blank forms from here. I am planning to laminate a couple of the thief note pads so that we can just use a dry erase marker.


We played this 4 times the other night - And will play this again! I tried to convince Jeremiah we should dress in early 90's attire to mimic the pictures on most game boxes, but he vetoed that idea.

So, don't overlook the game section at your Goodwill - and if your game is missing something, Google it!

No comments:

Post a Comment