Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Is He my King?

Sometimes, while I'm reading in the plan, entire stories or chapters stand out to me. Sometimes, all it takes is one verse. Last night, as I read of conversations between the prophet Samuel and God, my mind got stuck on one verse.

Image found here.
The Israelites were begging for a human king. Up to this point, the Lord had directed them and been their sole ruler. I Samuel 8:7 tells of the Lord's response.

“Do everything they say to you,” the LORD replied,
for it is me they are rejecting, not you. They don’t want me to be their king any longer."

Wow - after all that the Lord had done for them, after all the enemies He had helped them conquer, after all that He had given them, they didn't want Him to be their king any longer.

Samuel told the people of the Lord's answer.

And he said, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, has declared: I brought you from Egypt and rescued you from the Egyptians and from all of the nations that were oppressing you.  But though I have rescued you from your misery and distress, you have rejected your God today and have said, ‘No, we want a king instead!’
(I Sam. 10:18-19a)

It's easy to find fault with the Israelites. They were stuck in a bad cycle of God helping them - then they tried to do it on their own - then, they had to go back to God. It seemed so arrogant to me that they would say,
"God, you're not enough of a king for us - we need something else, something better." But I do the same thing.

I've heard my parents quote this over and over:  "If He's not Lord of all, then He's not Lord at all." 

Lord, I want you to be my King - You are enough for me! Lord, forgive for the times that I think I know best. Forgive me for the times I look to someone/something else for guidance or help.



No comments:

Post a Comment