Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What makes you any different?

While doing some catch up reading in my Bible reading plan, I found myself reading Matthew 5-7, a sermon series of Jesus.

“You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."
(Matthew 5:13-16, NLT)

"You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies!Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends,how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect."
(Matthew 5:43-48, NLT)

Although there are many nuggets of truth found in The Sermon on the Mount, these passages stuck out to me this evening. I am currently visiting Las Vegas for a conference.



In the midst of a city created entirely for entertainment purposes, there seems to never be a dull moment.



Tonight, while walking down Las Vegas Blvd, I stood I awe of a magnificent sight - the Bellagio Fountains.


In the midst of the hustle and bustle of hundreds of tourists, who knew that fountains synchronized with music could make people stop and stare. Tonight, these fountains stood out even more to me. As we approached the Bellagio, the song being played was the Hallelujah Chorus. Gallons of water shot so high into the night sky. I couldn't help but reflect on the greatness of my God.

In the midst of chaos and blinking lights, who knew that some water and beautiful music could make people stand in silence. To many, I'm suretjiswas just a beautiful sight, but to me, it was a reminder of who God is. Matthew 5 talked about being the difference in a dark world. I want to be different. I want to make people contemplate the glory of God. I want to be like the Bellagio fountains.

"What have you done today that only a Christian would have done?" -- Corrie ten Boom

No comments:

Post a Comment