Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Not your Average Daily Quiet Time...


As I continued in my journey through Scripture, I found myself reading Genesis 4-7 late Sunday evening. A sense of awe came over me upon reading Genesis 5:2 (NLT).

"... Enoch lived in close fellowship with God for another 300 years..."

I wasn't in awe of Enoch himself. I was mesmerized at the thought of a 300 year relationship with God. I've been extremely excited about my commitment to consistently read the Word for one year. For many years, I've struggle with always having a daily quiet time. And always making that time meaningful. Enoch didn't just have 300 years of a daily quiet time. He experienced 300 years of close fellowship. He must have realized it was worth the effort. His example makes my small goal seem more doable. The journey doesn't seem quite so daunting.

Image from here.
 I also read Of Noah's consistent faith. Genesis 6:9 says Noah also lived in "close fellowship" with God. When God needed a righteous individual to accomplish great things for Him, Noah was already that man.

"...for among all the people of the earth, I can see that you alone are righteous. "
(Genesis 7:1, NLT)
 These two men also made it into the "Hall of Faith" described in Hebrews 11.

"It was by faith that Enoch was taken up to heaven without dying—“he disappeared, because God took him." For before he was taken up, he was known as a person who pleased God.  And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.  It was by faith that Noah built a large boat to save his family from the flood. He obeyed God, who warned him about things that had never happened before. By his faith Noah condemned the rest of the world, and he received the righteousness that comes by faith." (Hebrews 11:5,6,7)


Mold me, Lord, into a woman you can use. Teach me through Your Word. Draw me into a close relationship with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment