Friday, July 8, 2011

The Little Things in Life...

I once read that the reason that Martha Stewart takes such great care in setting the table and decorating her home is to make her guests feel special and welcomed.

I have always loved the little things that people do to make me feel loved - When I was in high school, my dad was teaching a parenting class. He was using the 5 Love Languages test from Gary Chapman to help parents realize how their children would most feel loved. Amy and I took the test, and the results revealed that "gift giving" was my top love language. Many a time, my mother has sent little things in the mail, wrapped in a pretty piece of tissue paper or with a bit of ribbon - just to let me know she was thinking of me. The birthday table cloth that would suddenly appear on the dining room table the week of our birthday, a valentine card from my dad, a "just because" bundle of grocery story flowers from my husband...these are a few of my favorite things. Although the big gifts are nice, the small ones that let me know the giver put a little thought in to gift make me smile the most.

I received one such gift yesterday in the mail from a friend back home! As I pulled in the driveway after a long day at work, a package addressed to me was leaned up against the garage door. I couldn't wait to get inside and open it. I beamed as I saw it's contents - vintage fabric in red and blue for my kitchen curtains, a change purse and catalog from my new love, Cath Kidston...all tide up with twine. Tucked inside the bundle of goodness was a vintage flash card used to hold a note from a friend.   Joni, you made my day.




I had been dreaming about my kitchen being decorated with the colors found in these bowls on pinterest. Little did I know a special friend could help me make those dreams a reality. So, the sewing machine will soon come out, producing a few curtains and maybe an apron to complement my new kitchen. I hope to finds some red fabric with polka dots on it and some light blue fabric as well - these should pair nicely!

This package was a challenge to me - to keep being creative in my gift giving. I've decided to make the gifts I give as meaningful and personal as I can. It doesn't take much effort or time to let someone know you care.

What small gift have you received that made you feel like a million bucks?

No comments:

Post a Comment