Thursday, July 7, 2011

Never Too Busy

I loved being a “Dorm Mom,” but at times I could have done without the crazy hours my job required me to keep. I remember one evening that was no exception. I had a meeting with the girl leaders, and afterward, found myself listening to a girl that needed to talk. It was close to 2:00 am before I was able to calm down enough to fall asleep. At 4:00 am, my sister woke me because she had accidentally set off the dorm alarm. By the time my alarm went off at 6:00 am, I felt as if I had just laid my head down for a quick nap instead of a full night’s sleep. It is on days like this when I am exhausted that I am looking for things to cut out of my day. I am sorry to say that my time in the Word sometimes suffers. That next morning, I had decided to begin a new study. I am amazed that God knows exactly what we need for each day. I take great comfort in knowing that God planned ahead for all my gloomy days.

On my busy days, I tend to think that no one has less time than I do. But as I read Mark 1:21-34 I saw just how many things Jesus accomplished in such a short amount of time. He traveled with His disciples to Capernaum. He taught in the synagogue. He cast out an evil spirit. He traveled to Simon and Andrew’s home and healed Simon’s mother-in-law. His evening was consumed with healing the sick and demon possessed. It seems that the entire town showed up to receive something from Jesus. Verse 35 is what convicted me. “Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray.” Prayer and time with the Father were His number one priority, despite the weariness He must have felt.
Exodus 33:14 says, “The Lord replied, ‘My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.’” But in order to experience this rest, I must go into His presence. In the study I began this morning, Resting in Him by Women of Faith, the author stated “When we take time to rest, we begin to realize that what feels like doing nothing is really allowing God to do something inside of us.” It is easy for me to reason away why I simply don’t have time talk my Heavenly Father, but that time is needed. When I do take a moment to spend time with the Father, I am renewed in an even greater way.

My time with God is also refreshing. Just like Jesus, in Luke 4:42-43, I leave feeling more sure of my purpose. It is good to be able to realign my goals with the Father and to see things, once again, from His perspective.

I’ll leave you with this final thought from Margaret Feinberg, Women of Faith.
“The truth is that no matter how overworked or overscheduled you may feel, God desires to restore you. Your desire for rest will never match God’s desire to give you rest. He longs to renew you!”

1 comment:

  1. What a good reminder! It is so hard to sit in God's presence and to make prayer a priority.

    ReplyDelete