Saturday, August 16, 2014

A Shower of Blessings

Last night, the ladies in our small group from church got together for a Girl's Night/Baby Shower. Lots of babies are born in our small group families - and a baby shower is the perfect excuse for us ladies to get together! Sometimes we meet at a restaurant. Other times we meet in someone's home and we all bring food to share. Regardless of our location, I always leave these nights feeling encouraged by these awesome ladies.


Our time last evening was spent eating yummy food, laughing, sharing and celebrating Nora. Hannah, our host, made the most delicious strawberry cupcakes (I need that recipe!!)



So many other yummy treats were shared...I think we need a "Small Group Recipe Book." I'll head it up if other small group ladies are interested!!





I love that the people in our group may change - some have moved on, some come back to visit, new ones constantly join. However, the spirit of the group remains the same.

We love each other. We encourage each other. We do life together.


We hold each other's babies. We pass along clothes our kids have outgrown. We share advice. We share stories.



We are able to be real with each other. We are able to share our struggles and triumphs. I think it is what makes us stronger.

When we first started attending our church, it seemed huge. And, it is a big church. But the more we got plugged into this small group, the smaller the church seemed. I love that we sit together in the main service. We see each other as we drop off our kids in the nursery. We are all in the same faze of life.



They truly "showered" us with gifts last night.





Jeremiah and I always say we are so glad that the Lord led us to this group! The encouragement and support they provide are invaluable.

Ashlee had made up these little candle jars as a favor for each lady who attended.


Different ladies then took turns praying over different needs in our group, using the Scripture that was placed inside the jar.

When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father,
the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious,
unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 
Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. 
Your roots will grown down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the 
power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high,
and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great 
to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and
power that comes from God. 

Ephesians 4:14-19

I can't begin to describe the peace that came over me after hearing those words from Scripture. As a friend prayed over my anxieties with this pregnancy, I felt the presence of God and the assurance that He was in control. 



As I look at this group shot from last night, I think that this is what the body of Christ is supposed to look like. These ladies (and others who weren't able to attend) as well as their families are our "church." We bring meals, we hug, we hold babies, we laugh, we pray, we do life together. 

I love our small group. 

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome blessing in your life. Getting excited to see pictures of Nora!

    ReplyDelete