Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book Review: Lewis, "The Fiddler"

I have loved reading for as long as I can remember. As a child, I used to sleep with a stack of books instead of a teddy bear. (No joke! Ask my parents!) I was the child who got in trouble for reading too much. I could stay in my room for hours on end, getting completely lost in a book.

As an adult, I still love to read. I find that more things get in the way of my being able to read all afternoon, but I do cherish the times that I can sit down with a great book. 

As I mentioned here, Bethany House helps provide me with wonderful Christian reading material. I just finished reading another of their books yesterday. If you are interested in seeing if your eligible to participate in their program, you can fill out an application here



If you have an interest in Amish ways and a desire to step into a simpler life, "The Fiddler" by Beverly Lewis will be an enjoyable read for you. Set in the Amish community of Hickory Hollow, this books follows an Amish young man who is trying to decide if the plain life is the life for him. You will also be introduced to a talented violinist who is comparing the life of fame and fortune to the intriguing, simple life of the Amish. Despite growing up in different backgrounds, these two young people find a common bond as they try to sort out their own futures against the expectations of their parents. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Since I had previously read other books by Lewis, I loved the fact that this story takes place in a familiar Amish community. You will interact with some of the exact same characters from her other books that take place in Hickory Hollow. It was an easy, enjoyable read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment