Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Somebody's watching...So, Make Each Moment Count!

I'd love to tell you that I always spend my days at home with the kids doing well-planned, educational activities. I'd love to tell you that we always eat balanced meals, my kids never watch tv and that my house is super clean. I'd love to tell you that the toys are always organized and in their place. But that's not how it is.

Especially during the winter months, we have watched a lot of Buzz Lightyear and Daniel Tiger. We've eaten the same quick meal over and over again. And my living room often looks like a daycare - toys covering the floor.

But last night, I decided that I wanted to try to be intentional with the moments I spent with the kids. Hudson woke up early...he must have sensed my plan and wanted to get a head start. So, when he requested eggs for breakfast, I was happy to cook them.

As we sat eating our eggs and toast, I realized something. I tend to put my scrambled eggs on top of a piece of toast and eat them together. Little did I know, Hudson was watching my every move. Before I knew it, he too was trying to balance his eggs on top of his toast. As I helped him eat his breakfast like I was eating mine, 4,000 thoughts ran through my mind.

What other behaviors or habits is he picking up while watching me? Will he copy my bad attitudes and lazy moments? What things could he be learning if I would just take the time to teach him?

Sunday morning, as I packed Hudson's nursery book-bag, I came across his verse card for the month of January. I just said it with him a few times, and before breakfast was finished, he had memorized the verse. When we came home for lunch, I tried the verse again...and he still remembered it. I had been selling him short! He is capable of much more than I thought...and that means I need to take a little more time to teach him.


I realized that being "intentional" about my time with him meant more than just planning a few activities...It meant making each moment count.  It meant that I was making decisions, all day long, that I wouldn't mind my kids copying. What a responsibility! I think this little realization made me a better mom...at least for today. I really tried to make each moment count. And by the end of the day, I was worn out!

As we played with Play-doh, I tried to teach him to roll balls and snakes.


I tried to remind him that we put things back where they belong when we finish playing with them. And we sang a few songs and built a few snowmen in the process.


We practiced naming shapes as we used our cookie cutters too.


He was so proud to tell his dad that he had made a snake today!

Since we had emptied an egg carton this morning at breakfast, I decided to use it for lunch. After rinsing it out, I filled the little sections with finger foods.


It was fun to watch him decide what to eat first. Naturally, the Captain Crunch was gone before anything else.


He counted each spot. And when we prayed and thanked God for our food, he called out the names of each item.

I have to give my sister credit for this idea. I had seen her fill little plastic eggs with foods for Pippa.


She used this tactic to introduce her daughter to some different foods. Eating new foods outside and out of plastic eggs helped Pippa to try everything!


Hudson ate almost everything (there were a few tortellini pieces and a couple raisins left). We will definitely try this again! I might even pick up a colorful ice cube tray to use.

As I took Nora's four month pictures this afternoon, I prayed that the Lord would help me as I invest in my daughter, as well.


She is growing faster than I want her to! At her check-up yesterday, she weighed 15 pounds 11 ounces and was 26.5 inches long! She is off the charts for her height, measuring the length of an average 8 month old!


We love to watch her learn new things. She loves to have her ankles crossed, like a little lady, and she is rolling from her belly to her back now.



She loves her big brother, watching his every move.


As he told me every letter on her shirt, she never took her eyes off of him. He can make her squeal in laughter, and he thinks that is the coolest thing. This also made me think that the cycle continues...what Hudson learns from me, he will pass on to others. Someone is always watching!

Once the baby was done with her pictures, Hudson laid down in the basket and said "Baby...waaaaah (fake crying)....need hairbow!" He was pointing at his head and adamant that he have a hairbow. He wanted to look just like the baby. He told me to take his picture too while he was pretending to be the baby. "yeah...I baby...waaaaah"

I am so glad that the Lord picked me to be these two awesome kid's mom.


I may have to remind myself quite often of the need to be intentional. Trying to make each moment count sure wore me out today...but it also felt like one of the most rewarding days I've had in a long time. I'm ready to try it all again tomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. Cindy, you are such a great mom! I love reading all your posts & seeing pictures of your adorable children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to be reminded of this everyday. I have been trying to be intentional about reading a book every day with Esther.

    I love that Hudson wanted his picture with a hair bow!

    Esther would love to try to play with the two of them. She was in the nursery last night really watching the kids play. One of these days!

    ReplyDelete